8/25/2008-PETS-Warning For Dog Owners

The following email has been sent to me, and I am passing it to friends with
dogs. Please do the same.

Only 3 grams of Xylitol (found in sugar free chewing gum) is enough to kill a
65lb dog. And QUICKLY!!!!! Please pass this warning on to everyone you know who
has dogs. It may just save a life.

Subject: Xylitol Warning please pass on to ANYONE with pets!!!!�Here is the link
to further
Information:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/xylitol.asp

Warning to all dog owners pass this on to everyone you can

Last Friday evening, I arrived home from work, fed Chloe, our 24 Lb dachshund,
just as I normally do. Ten minutes later I walked into the den just in time to
see her head inside the pocket of Katie’s friend’s purse. She had a guilty look
on her face so I looked closer and saw a small package of sugar-free gum. It
contained xylitol. I remembered that I=2
0had recently read that sugar-free gum can
be deadly for dogs so I jumped on line and looked to see if xylitol was the
ingredient. I found the first website below and it was the one. Next, I called
our vet. She said to bring her in immediately.

Unfortunately, it was still rush
hour and it took me almost 1/2 hour to get there. Meanwhile, since this was her
first case, our vet found another website to figure out the treatment. She took
Chloe and said they would induce her to vomit, give her a charcoal drink to
absorb the toxin (even though they don’t th ink it works) then they would start
an iv with dextrose. The xylitol causes dogs to secrete insulin so their blood sugar drops very quickly. The second thing that happens is liver failure. If
that happens, even with aggressive treatment, it can be difficult to save them.
She told us she would call us.

Almost two hours later, the vet called and said that contents of her stomach contained 2-3 gum
wrappers and that her blood sugar had dropped from 90 to 59 in 30 minutes. She
wanted us to take Chloe to another hospital that has a critical care unit
operating around the clock. We picked her up and took her there. They had us
call the ASPCA poison control for a case number and for a donation, their
doctors would direct Chloe’s doctor on treatment. They would continue the iv,
monitor her blood ever
y other hour and then in 2 days test her liver function.
She ended up with a central line in her jugular vein since the one in her leg
collapsed, just as our regular vet had feared.

Chloe spent almost the entire weekend in the critical care hospital. After her
blood sugar was stabilized, she came home yesterday. They ran all the tests
again before they released her and so far, no sign of liver damage. Had I not
seen her head in the purse, she probably would have died and we wouldn’t even
had known why.

Three vets told me this weekend, that they were amazed that I even knew about it
since they are first learning about it too. Please tell everyone you know about
xylitol and dogs. It may save another life.

Advertisements

About Wayne W. Johnson

Hiya-this is WWJ & thanks for dropping by to my site! I hope you enjoy your visit to my home away from home online. If you have any questions, comments and /or concerns about this site, please let me know via the CONTACT page. Thanks & best wishes to you & yours!
This entry was posted in PETS and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s